Hearing tests are mandatory if your workplace has noise levels exceeding the equivalent of 85dB(A) for 8 hours.
Noise Induced Hearing loss (NIHL) and noisy workplaces have become a serious issue for New Zealand business.
What noise is generated by the plant and equipment at your place?
Are your workplace noise levels above the 85dB(A) 8 hour average?
Noise output should be monitored every 5 years or sooner if plant and equipment is purchased or modified? (contact Precious People Occupational Health Services to ensure you comply with the legislation around this)
Precious People OHS offers hearing tests to support you meeting your legal obligations. It is recommended that hearing tests be carried out annually to comply with the Approved Code of Practice for the Management of Noise in the Workplace.
Precious People OHS hearing tests can help you:
- Comply with the Approved Code of Practice for the Management of Noise levels in the Workplace
- Identify employees at risk from hazardous noise in the workplace
- Take necessary action with regard to hearing protection to avoid hearing problems
- Comply with the law
- Ensure your employees can still hear safety cues and instruction both at work and at home.
- Educate your employees on the first affects that are noticed by Noise Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL) which are having difficulty hearing conversation when there is back ground noise present. Having to have the TV up a bit louder that the rest of the family. Having trouble hearing certain tones of music, woman's and children's voices also become harder to hear.
Your employees undergo a 20 minute hearing test ether at our office or at your premises. Precious People OHS will take care of the future 12 monthly test scheduling and ensure that we obtain your employees written consent so we can provide you with an informative report on the results.
The hearing tests include:
- Assessment of the employees past and present noise history (includes recreational)
- A physical assessment of the ear cannal and ear drum.
- We test eight frequencies in both ears
- Explanation of the results to the employee plus a copy of the results are given to each employee.
- Education on responsibility to protect their ears
- An assessment of their hearing protection to ensure that they are in good condition and fit for purpose, we will include this information in our report.